Monday, August 4, 2008

COULD SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS?

At the request of my crew chief I am contemplating another RAW effort next year. We learned a lot at this year's race. She is enthusiastic about trying again. I am less enthused but willing to consider it. Today is August 4th. After riding 100 miles this week end my knee is fine, the bikes are working, the weather is gorgeous. There is no reason not to go looking for trouble.
I have more vacation coming up. I'm planning on some long rides, 200 miles or more to see what happens. The problem with very long, non-looping rides in Montana is that, out of Lewistown for example, it is possible to go over 100 miles without seeing a house, much less a town with a hotel. So starting a long ride around here is a serious matter.
I have panniers and I'm thinking of approaching the next long (500) mile ride as a tour rather than a race. Carrying enough water for 120 miles of riding in summer means carrying a lot of weight. Still, one does what one must. One's other choice is to find a loop close to home and put in a couple hundred miles where help is available. One doesn't want to do that because one knows one will want to stop if stopping is easy. One will change pronouns now.
This is the first posting for the 2009 race. The first step is reinforcing an addiction is admitting the addiction and buying all the paraphanalia necessary to support it, then drop all your old, noncycling friends. I've done that...Let's roll!

ChrisM

No comments: