Sunday, May 4, 2008

Best laid schemes

I think the snow has stopped. The weather has been atrocious. Have I let it stop me? You Bet! I have another century and various shorter rides done but nothing on the scale I had planned. Am I getting scared? Y ou Bet!
Then this week the house we are renting sold. We have thirty days to move out. Last week end we spent house hunting and this week end was spent house buying. I have to hang around to sign offers for houses, sign counter-counter offers. Sign offers for the second choice. Training for races is right out the window. The bright side?
We have given up. If our last offer is not accepted we move into another rental and stop worrying about it. The good news is that the weather has improved and I have a week off next week. The plan is to do some training centuries, then a double century. Conveniently, from my present house it is exactly 100 miles to a conspicuous landmark in Helena (the Wendy's near the freeway). Food and a bathroom at the turnaround, what more could I want? An early start, lunch at the turn and home by dark...sounds simple. I might go to ski areas to practice long, hellish climbs. I have Bogus Basin in Boise, Idaho in mind.
I'm rotating the bikes through a local bike shop (Bangtail) for tune ups. The Javelin (Thagamizer) is in now, to be followed by the OSS Seiran (Kelson) the USS Seiran (Taranaki).
I have bought the lycra, scheduled the logo manufacture and continue to test the food. The race dreams have started, almost all of them dealing with getting lost. The worst one was the dream of a time station that happened to coincide with a check point for a large cross country cycle tour. There were hundreds of bikes and tables but none of them were mine.
And Tim Woudenberg. He is a competitors nightmare except he's real.

Jolly times. Off to another long ride today.

ChrisM

No comments: