Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Top of the Hill

This past week-end was the last of the big training rides. Saturday I did 60 miles on a gorgeous day. That route was quite hilly, finishing with a moderate climb that ends at the local ski resort. Moderate in this case means 1500 feet up in about sixteen miles. This was the check ride after the last tune up at my local bike shop. They adjusted derailleurs and changed tires and cables. The new vented seat cover I put on Kelson works fine.
Sunday I did 107 miles in 6 hours, 20 minutes. What's to say? I felt good. The chief benefit of long rides seems to be brutally enforcing the rules to 1. Eat and 2. Drink. Even working on it I was getting dehydrated. The next plan is to put a water bottle in a chest pack of some kind so drinking is easier. Imbibation is definitely my weak spot, aside from legs.
I've decided to leave the Easy Racer Javelin home. The complications of spare parts and travel space were getting to be too much. I love the springy ride...alright, maybe I'll throw it on the roof of the car. But then there are more lights, tires, tubes and, let's face it, a heavier bike. I think it will be an all Seiran race.
This week is a good time to taper because I'm moving into our new house. It's only a couple of miles away, so there will be many small trips and one day with a rented truck. For once the stress of moving is less than the stress of something else--the training.
I'm getting a new helmet too. Who knows what the equipment inspectors inspect?

ChrisM

No comments: